Friday, February 28, 2014

Interview (21) - let me introduce you to Sarah Duff

Sarah Duff is a freelance travel photographer and journalist based in Cape Town, South Africa. She's travelled around the world but her favourite assignments are in Africa - whether it's gorilla tracking in Rwanda, beach hopping Mozambique, road tripping Malawi or desert hiking in Namibia.



  1. What was your inspiration or the event/idea that made you want to travel?    I've always travelled - from a young age my parents took me on some amazing trips, so there's never been a point at which I decided I would travel.
  2. Have you ever felt lonely travelling solo?                                           Yes, travelling solo can be lonely but I find that sharing my experiences on social media and seeing people respond to them immediately through comments and likes makes me feel connected to a global community rather than being alone. 
  3. What was your best travel experience?                                      South Africa has a high crime rate so it's good to be cautious if you're travelling on your own as a woman. Ask your hotel or backpackers to organise taxis for you so you don't walk around cities on your own at night, ask locals where no-go areas are in cities you're in and try and make new friends along the way to travel with you if you're taking buses or trains.
  4. What are your top three tips for women traveling solo?                       Be street savvy, tell people where you are going and try and make new friends at your destination who can show you around and give you tips on where it's safe to be on your own.
  5. What would you tell women who are looking to travel alone but worry about their safety?                                                                Research where you are going to and make some contacts with other women through friends of friends or through social media networks before you get there.
  6. How do you pay for a life of travel?                                              I'm a travel writer and photographer so my job is travel! 
  7. Tell us about the best food you have ever eaten on your travels?            I'm a vegetarian, and Turkey and India have the best food in the world for veggies!
  8. What is the most breathtaking view you have ever witnessed on your travels The view of the endless fields of sand dunes from a hot air balloon over the Namib Desert in Namibia.
  9. What do you miss about your home when you go traveling?                    My boyfriend and friends.
  10. What item will you always carry in your backpack?                             My iPhone, SLR camera and notebook. 



No comments:

Post a Comment