Saturday, March 15, 2014

Interview (23) - Shannon

I’m Shannon O’Donnell, and the site A Little Adrift has been my home since I left to travel around the world in 2008. I launched A Little Adrift as a way to share my journey, as well as share the hows and whys for others feeling adrift and looking for a change in their lives.
Over the years, A Little Adrift evolved from a pure travelogue into a resource point to motivate and encourage other travelers through stories, advice, and photography. Many readers dream of taking a similar trip and they join the community to find the courage and resources to make international travel a reality.

  1. What was your inspiration or the event/idea that made you want to travel?I had always wanted to travel but didn't see how I could afford it, or fit it into my life. When I found consistent online work in 2008 I decided to take the leap and plan a one-year round the world trip!
  2. What was your first travel experience?I participated in a summer study abroad program in college. I attended a university in Northern Italy and then used that trip as a jumping point to backpack through other places in Europe for the rest of the summer. 
  3. Have you ever felt lonely travelling solo?There were definitely times I felt lonely, but at that moments I would Skype home with my parents and remember that all things pass. The loneliness always passed and I was happy I had decided to stay traveling and exploring. 
  4.  What was your best travel experience? I loved backpacking through Southeast Asia my first year on the road. There was such camaraderie with other backpackers and it cemented my desire to continue traveling and meeting new friends. 
  5. Is there anything you would have done differently/ any regrets, if you could do it over again?
    I wouldn't change a thing. If I could give myself advice right when I was planning to leave on the long trip, I would tell myself to worry less, to have faith that it will work out, but even that was a part of the journey and the learning process. 
  6. What advice would you give women traveling solo to your home country? Accept kindness and be open to meeting people from all walks of life. The United States is incredibly diverse, each corner of the country has different cultural nuances that are fun to explore. 
  7. What are your future travel plans?
    I plan to travel through Africa for about five months and then everything is up in the air, which is just how I like it. :)
  8. What are your top three tips for women traveling solo?
    Stay aware of your surroundings, be open to kindnesses from strangers, and meet up with other travelers whenever it strikes your fancy.
  9. What would you tell women who are looking to travel alone but worry about their safety?
    Danger exists everywhere, don't live in a place of fear. You can safely travel in heaps of countries in the world and have a positive travel experience if you remain aware and have a good perspective on the solo travel experience. 
  10. How do you pay for a life of travel?
    I am a freelance consultant and consult with clients remotely from where ever I happen to be traveling. I focus on SEO and online marketing. 
  11. What have you learned from travelling?
    Travel has opened and expanded my perspective in profound ways. It's like a boot-camp for life -- showing you all the nuances and facets of humanity that are easy to overlook in the day to day rhythms of life

No comments:

Post a Comment