Saturday, July 26, 2014

Interview (36) -Thanyalak

I'm Thanyalak and i'm from Bangkok, Thailand. I'm studying Hotel Management in college and I am 19 years old.

When I was 14, my parents sent me to the Philippines to learn to speak English for a year and 2 years later I was and exchange student in Naples, Italy (in 2011).
Living away from my family since I was young taught me a lot of how the real world is and it has made me who I am today. 
I don't believe age matters in anything. It depends on the maturity of each person, so it is never too late or too early to do something.

Travelling, for me is an addiction. I think i'll never get enough of it.
What was your first travel experience?
-  My first solo backpacking experience was quite short but memorable. I was 18 and I did travel to the north of Thailand in Chiangmai to volunteer in the elephant nature park. I was nervous and afraid of course, but after I took a step out of my comfort zone, I met a lot of great travelers along the way and many of them have become my good friends until now. 

What’s your preferred type of travel- destinations, type of accommodation, activities, length of trip, and so on? Why the preference?
- I have none preferred type of travel-destinations in particular because each places has its own beauty and uniqueness. I like to stay in the apartment rental (via Airbnb) just to stay in the area away from tourist, walk and get lost in the city, try the local foods, learn their cultures and languages. I don't like the idea of Been there Done that. So, I like to spend at lest 2-3days for each city to feel its uniqueness as much as I can.

What do you like best about traveling life?
- Walking in the city where no body knows me. Eating foods which I haven't eat before. Talking and drinking with strangers at the local pub. Getting lost in the city but find my true self in the meantime.

How do you fund your travels?
- My parents support me in the very beginning but after all, I started to get a part time job after school or during summer break.

What are your favorite foreign cuisines and why do you love them?
- German, I tried one typical dish in Nurnberg at a small local sausage shop. I remember, I was just walk pass by this place, a german guy standing in front tried to explain what he was eating to me and he said it is very nice and suggest me to give it a try. It made with beef and potatoes I guess. I don't know the name but it was really tasty and cheap. I am still craving for it until now. 

Is there anything you would have done differently/any regrets, if you could do it over again?
- There is nothing I wish I could have done differently or do it over again. I don't regret any mistake I had because it has made me a person I am today. 

What's the strangest situation you have found yourself in?
- In the sub-urban train in Naples(circumvesuviana). A mentally-sicked man screamed and shouted, it was very loud and I was not even brave enough to look at him in the eyes. I was 16 at the time.

Have you been in any seriously scary dangerous, nerve-wracking situations? If so, please tell us about one of them.
- I got caught on the night train from Budapest to Zagreb for not having Croatian visa. I forgot to check it clearly. It was 11pm on the train, 2Hungarian and 2Croatian polices came and after they've check my passport, they told me to leave the train with the luggages without any clear explanation of what's going on. at the end, my passport was blocked to enter Croatia for 15 days. I had to sleep at the train station where there was no one excepts few polices, tons of mosquitoes and was a bit cold. Then I took the earliest train in the morning back to Budapest.

What are your tips for other travelers?
- Trust your inner voice. I always believe what came out from my mind first, the reason and logic after. 

Couchsurfing... What do you think about that?
- I think it is an amazing website. I hosted 2 taiwanese girls at my house but I still haven't got a chance to surf the couch yet. Hopefully next trip. 

What do you miss about your home when you go traveling?
- As much as I love trying different foods, I do miss Thai(spicy) food when traveling too. 

Have you ever felt lonely when traveling alone?
- Yes, there was time I felt lonely but not as many times as I found myself in the good company with strangers I met. In fact, I feel less lonely to be alone than being with bad company. 

What have you learned from traveling?
- I've learned to be more open and feel everything. I've also learned to trust my gut.

No comments:

Post a Comment