Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Niki Harris - interview


Hi! My name is Niki and i am the founder and editor of My Wanderlust World. I was born in England and have been traveling since i was 8 years old! I started traveling independently in 2013 which soon led to the creation of my travel blog, My Wanderlust World!

My Wanderlust World is a travel guide to inspire world travel and to awaken ambition to live your dreams. I travel to fulfill my passion for world travel and to inspire others to follow in my footsteps.

You can check out my travel blog at www.mywonderlustworld.blogspot.co.uk

1. What was your inspiration or the event/idea that made you want to travel?
I have always enjoyed exploring new places, trying new things and creating memories. My inspiration comes from myself, from wanting to live my dreams of being able to experience everything the world has to offer.

2. What was your first travel experience?
My first fully independent travel experience was visiting Iceland to scuba dive between the tectonic plates. I was also lucky enough to see the Northern Lights and climb multiple glaciers during my visit! Iceland is my favourite destination so far!


3. Have you ever felt lonely traveling solo?
I have never felt lonely traveling. I have always met other travelers on my journey that i have found myself in deep conversation with from sharing stories and advice. I love meeting new people and hearing their stories of where they have been and things they have done.

4. Do you have any fun stories of things that happened to you that you realized
even at the time, “This never would have happened if I had been traveling with someone else?”
Getting completely lost in Prague! The relief of stumbling across a street you recognise made it an experience to laugh about afterwards! Sometimes being able to speak other languages would come in handy!

5. What was your best travel experience?
As i have mentioned in one of the earlier questions, Iceland is my favourite travel destination so far! Experiencing Blue Lagoon’s natural hot springs, seeing the Northern Lights, scuba diving between the tectonic plates, climbing multiple glaciers! The Icelandic locals are so friendly too. I now understand why so many British people live there!

6. Is there anything you would have done differently/ any regrets, if you could do it over again?
I have never had any regrets! What happens in your past, shapes you into the person you are today. From experience, i have learnt to fully research a place you are visiting and plan ahead. This way you can make the most out of the time you have there.
7. What was your worst travel experience?
I have been lucky enough not to have any bad travel experiences. However, i have been delayed getting to my destination due to the cancellation of flights. But i was well looked after by airport staff who were fantastic!

8. What’s the strangest situation you have found yourself in?
Scuba diving in 2c water between the tectonic plates with a leaking dry suit! My suit that was supposed to keep me warm and dry ended up being half full of freezing water with me inside suffering from hyperthermia. If that wasn’t bad enough, i then had to change into dry clothes outside in the -6c temperatures as there was no changing rooms at the dive site in the National Park! - I will never complain i’m cold again!

9. Where will you never return to?
I wouldn’t say i would never return to any place i have visited. However i tend not to return to a country for a while as i choose to continue to explore new places first.


10. What advice would you give women traveling solo to your home country?
England is only a small country and so it is very quick and easy to get to a new place. I live near the Peak District National Park, so naturally, i would recommend visiting this area! But if nature and the countryside isn’t your thing then i’d recommend a sight seeing tour in London or trying out the amazing water sports in Cornwall!

11. What are your future travel plans?
If i told you that, that would ruin the surprise! The summer and winter months are my usual traveling times, so you’ll just have to keep a look out for where i am next!

12. What are your top three tips for women traveling solo?
Research. Plan. Organise. - Research the place you are visiting. Plan what you are going to do each day you are there. Organise your belongings so you know where everything is and make back ups. - Make copies of your passport and insurance!

  1. What would you tell women who are looking to travel alone but worry about their safety?
It is natural to worry, but don’t let worrying hold you back. Try to stick to the busy touristy areas and make sure you get back to your accommodation before it gets dark.


14. Couchsurfing..what do you think about that?
I have never tried this myself but if this is something you feel comfortable doing then go for it. Using popular websites like couchsurfing.org will help you find the right accommodation for you.

15. How do you pay for a life of travel?
I am a freelancer and run my own photography and videography business when i am not traveling. You can check out my work at www.nicolaharrisproductions.blogspot.co.uk

16. Tell us about the best food you have ever eaten on your travels?
Spaghetti Carbonara in Rome! All food in Italy is fantastic. But this has to be my favourite meal that i will always choose wherever i go!

17. What is the most breathtaking view you have ever witnessed on your travels?
It has to be the Northern Lights! I cannot put it into words how surreal and breathtaking it is. A true wonder of the world!

18. What do you miss about your home when you go traveling?
There’s no place like home. The exciting part of coming home is to see my family!

19. What item will you always carry in your backpack?
My camera! Everywhere i go, i will have my camera! I love photography and sharing where i have been and what i have been up to with family and friends. My photography hold my memories.

20. Who was the kindest or most generous person you met on your travels, and what did they do?
I met a very generous man on a train. He boarded the train with boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, then went down the carriage offering everybody one. This led to an incredible atmosphere in the carriage. As he left the train to continue his journey, everybody cheered and gave him a round of applause!

21. What have you learned from traveling?
I have learn to much about different countries, cultures and food. I have learnt about life, being independent and priorities. But most importantly, i have learnt so much about myself!

22. Who inspires you? What other travelers do you look up to?

I am inspired by anybody who travels. If you are living your life to the full, then keep it up. You will not only be inspiring me, you’ll be inspiring those around you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment