Saturday, May 17, 2014

Interview (31) - Sara from Morocco

My name is Sara, 25 years old from Morocco. It's been now 2 years and a half since I graduated, and started working in a bank as an engineer. I've always loved traveling, and I am trying to do my best and visit places I've always wanted to go.
I love photography, belly dance, adventure, cooking and discovering new cultures.

What was your inspiration or the event/idea that made you want to travel?
I've always wanted to travel! I watch documentaries and read traveler's stories all the time .. And that makes me think about traveling very often.

What was your first travel experience?
I was 19 years old and I had to pass some exams in France. So I took some more days to discover the country (even if it was the preparation period for exams :D).
So I visited Paris, and some other cities .. I loved being a tourist in a foreign country, I knew that this is what makes me happy.

Have you ever felt lonely travelling solo?

I never feel alone .. I always meet great travelers, and it's always a pleasure to exchange with people from different countries! 

What was your best travel experience?
My last trip: Safaris in Kenya and then 2 weeks in Zanzibar!! The best experience ever.


Is there anything you would have done differently/ any regrets, if you could do it over again?
Wish I took more days on my vacation and climbed the kilimandjaro while I were in Tanzania ...


What was your worst travel experience?
When I went to Kenya for Safaris, it took me 3 days to arrive there. Actually, I had 3 flights, and each one was late or canceled because of the weather. So I had 3 long days waiting to arrive!! And once in Nairobi, I discovered that they lost my luggage .. So I had to wait one more day, without a shower (because I stayed at a couchsurfer's place, and they didn't have wate!!r) and without changing my clothes. I also missed my safari trip I've already reserved.
But, fortunately, I found another travel agency, with a better price. I had the chance to live the adventure, and to meet great people.
I only regret the fact that I cried at some point :)


What’s the strangest situation you have found yourself in?
When I was in zanzibar, I took a guide to show me aroud. I booked some activities .. But later, I discovered that he wasn't a guide, he left a long love letter and asked the guy in my hotel to give it to me. He was following me everywhere and inviting me for dinner :D I asked him to leave me alone, and he did .. I was releaved :D


Where will you never return to?
Nowhere!

What advice would you give women traveling solo to your home country?

To all women traveling alone to Morocco: Don't answer guys who flirt in the street .. If you do, they will stick to you!!!

What are your future travel plans?
I am planning to go to Norway by august, and then I want to go to vietnam by january ... Hope I can do it :)


What are your top three tips for women traveling solo?
  • Don't be afraid of talking to people
  • Enjoy every second of your trip
  • Don't pack useless things
What would you tell women who are looking to travel alone but worry about their safety?
If something is supposed to happen to you, it will .. Even if you are with a group of 10 strong guys! So don't worry, take precautions and everything is going to be ok :)


Couchsurfing..what do you think about that?
Couchsurfing is a great concept. I had great experiences so far :)

How do you pay for a life of travel?
I just save money .. It's not always easy, but I do my best :p


Tell us about the best food you have ever eaten on your travels?
That was my first couchsurfing experience, and my host cooked a napolitan pasta for me? He was really nice, and the dinner was delicious.
Also, the Sea food chapati in Zanzibar is not bad at all!


What do you miss about your home when you go traveling?
My family and my friends!


What item will you always carry in your backpack?
My camera and my diary!

What have you learned from travelling?
I learned to be me!!

Who inspires you? What other travellers do you look up to?
My friends who love traveling, and some people I met while traveling ... Yes, we stayed in touch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment